Welcome to Blakely’s newest collection of blog posts, The Color Series! Every other month we will be featuring one of our favorite colors to design with. Taking the first step to infusing vibrant colors into your home can be intimidating, so we’re rounding up our favorite picks – from paint colors to accessories – in each color to serve as inspiration for you.
Appropriately enough, February’s color is RED.
Ahh red, the color of love, lust and strength. Red is a pretty powerful color; it captures our attention, boosts our spirits and exudes an exciting and stimulating energy.
So, how you do you use red in your home?
Because of the powerful nature of the color, I suggest infusing it in small touches throughout your home; think decorative accessories, accent chairs, throw pillows and art. If you’re feeling so bold (which we hope you are!) choose one of the vibrant red paint colors below to update an old piece of furniture or highlight an accent wall.
Where to Shop for Red Accessories
Generally, you can find these colors at your favorite paint store & online. Each brand’s website offers some great advice on how you can use each hue, and how it will look in your home.
- “Les Touches” in Red. Brunschwig & Fils.
- “Hockley Madder” by Villa Nova. Cowtan and Tout.
- “Deconstructed Stripe” in Red. Schumacher.
- “Downy” by Kate Blee. Christopher Farr Cloth.
- “Ginger Cranberry”. Pepper.
- “Les Cavaliers Lin” by Manuel Canovas. Cowtan and Tout.
- Nina Campbell Billy Tray in Fireworks. Oomph Home, $495.
- Luca Pillow Cover. Serena and Lily, $128.
- Jonathan Adler Lips Trinket Tray. Perigold, $98.
- Cartier Panthere. Assouline, $156. (We love all the books from Assouline!)
- Baby Alpaca Classic Throw. Alicia Adams Alpaca, $425.
- Beekman Small Table Lamp by Kate Spade. Perigold, $695
- Barcart in Fireworks. Oomph Home, $1,575.
- S/2 Odeon Bistro Armchair. One Kings Lane, $325.
- Newport Grasscloth End Tables with Brass Caps. Various Sizes & Colors, starting at $1,105. (Our number one color choice? Fireworks, of course!)
- Mina Two-Cushion Sofa in Velvet Scarlet. Anthropologie, starting at $2,398.
- Large Easton chest in Fireworks. Oomph Home, $3,175. We love this chest because it’s totally customizable from the color to the tassels.
- “Gucci Goo” by Jessica Rosenkaimer. $1,890. Available for purchase directly from Blakely Interior Design.
- “Red Carpet Arrival, Beverly Hills Hotel” by Gray Malin. Starting at $299.
- “Amalfi” by Michael J. Paddon. $900. Available at Kristen Coates Art Gallery in Newport, RI.
- “Purgatory Chasm” by Marc Mazzarelli. Available for purchase from Candita Clayton Gallery in Pawtucket, RI.
- Smeg Citrus Juicer. Crate and Barrel, $180.
- Red Neon LED Sign. Oroa, $1,195.
- S/4 Tassel Cocktail Napkins. One Kings Lane, $50.
- 3D Heart Crossbody. Kate Spade, $298.
- Hip Large Red Wine Glass. Crate and Barrel, $6.95. (This counts as a red item, right? 😉 )
When selecting items for our clients homes, we always encourage them to step just outside their comfort zone with color, because that’s were the magic happens! Sure, red is a bold color, but when used correctly, it can really bring that ‘wow factor’ to any room.
In case you missed it, don’t forget to to download our newest resource, Blakely’s Guide to Mixing Color and Pattern, to assist you in selecting vibrant paint colors, fabrics and accessories that work harmoniously together.