Welcome back to another post in the Color Series! Today we’re sharing some tips and inspiration about how to infuse the color blue into your home and life. As a New Englander, it’s especially hard not to love the color blue. Although our portfolio consists of a rainbow of vibrant colors, we find that a majority of our clients want us to infuse blue in some way in their home (we do live in the Ocean State after all!) In fact, this gorgeous hue happens to be the favorite color of a majority of the world’s population.
The color blue conveys a sense of trust, loyalty, reliability and confidence. It also reduces stress and creates a sense of calmness. Just think about when you’re at the beach on a clear blue-sky day…you feel pretty stress-free, right?!
SO, HOW DO YOU USE BLUE IN YOUR HOME?
Blue is probably the most common color used in interior design, as it is so versatile. You can dress it up with bold yellow & punchy orange for a dramatic pop, or simplify it with crisp whites and classic neutrals for a serene coastal vibe.
You can infuse the color blue virtually anywhere in the home, from flooring, to the walls, to your decorative accents. We’ve designed kitchens with striking blue islands and cabinetry, bathrooms with intricate indigo tiles, master bedrooms with dreamy blue bedding, and living rooms showcasing blue patterned furniture and pillows.
So if you’re after that classic coastal blue and white style…
…or you want to mix it up with moody navy walls and gold accents, we’ve rounded up some of our favorite blue paint colors, fabrics & wallcoverings, accessories and art to inspire a summer refresh for your home.
WHERE TO PURCHASE VIBRANT BLUE HOME DECOR
Generally, you can find these colors at your favorite paint store & online. Each brand’s website offers some great advice on how you can use each paint, and how it will look in your home.
- “ZIMBA” in Marine. Schumacher
- “MADELEINE” in Cerulean. Konstantin Kakanias
- “MAISIE” in Royal Blue. Thibaut
- “TALAVERA” in Indigo. Brunschwig & Fils
- “CHINA SEAS SIGOURNEY” in Navy on White. Quadrille
- “CHIANG MAI DRAGON” in China Blue. Schumacher
- ART: BLUE EYES II BY BRITT BASS Artfully Walls $19+ (Top), AS BIG AS THE SKY Artfully Walls $41+ (Bottom), BLUE LOOPS BY MORIOKE Artfully Walls $38+ (Right)
- FLORAL VINE ANCESTOR JAR $218 & MONTE CARLO TEMPLE JAR $338. Cailini Coastal
- EDEN PILLOW. Pepper Home, $68
- WESTPORT DUVET COVER IN FRENCH BLUE. Serena & Lily, $328
- ALPACA CLASSIC THROW. Alicia Adams Alpaca, $445
- MONOGRAMMABLE PATTERNED LUCITE TRAY. Mark & Graham, $115
- PORCELAIN BLUE DRAGON. Chelsea House, $250
- DANDI PILLOW IN NAVY/CHAMBRAY. Alicia Adams Alpaca, $199
- BOOKS: COASTAL BLUES BY PHOEBE HOWARD. $35 MYKONOS MUSE, ASSOULINE. $95 ESCAPE BY GRAY MALIN. $45
- BACKGAMMON TABLE. Oomph, $3,995
- INDIGO/WHITE HERRINGBONE INDOOR/OUTDOOR RUG. Dash & Albert, $56+
- STEVIE SWIVEL CHAIR (Left) & THE KATE CHAIR (Right). Society Social, $1,315+
- PRESIDIO SIDE TABLE IN NAVY. Caitlin Wilson Design, $898
- CAPRI MIRROR IN NEW YORK BLUE. Oomph, $1,520
Have you seen the navy grasscloth wallpaper lining the back of the built-ins in The Linden Project? Or the various shades of blue furnishings throughout The Taggart Project? If you’re feeling blue (in a good way!) and need some more inspiration, be sure to check out our past projects because like I mentioned earlier, you’ll find this cool color in almost every home we’ve designed. Keep an eye out for our next Color Series post, where we’ll dive deep into the world of vibrant orange!